On the basis of instructions and tasks set by the Consumer Protection Agency under the Antimonopoly Committee of the Republic of Uzbekistan in accordance with the Decree of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan dated September 11, 2019 No. PF-5817 and the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers dated December 19, 2019 No. 1015 and other documents, a number of measures were taken in the course. In particular,
- Consumers filed 21.4 thousand complaints to the Agency about violations of their rights. According to the study, the rights of more than 4 million consumers have been restored and 54.7 billion UZS have been paid to consumers.
(the level of work with the population’s problems and their solution has increased 10 times compared to previous years).
- 2. A total of 300 events and 3,670 materials and legal information on various topics were organized and posted in the media in order to increase the consumer culture and legal knowledge of the population and entrepreneurs
- In order to protect the rights of consumers, 86 existing regulations were registered, 81 projects of legal documents were assessed for their impact on consumers, relevant conclusions and recommendations were given. 14 projects of legal documents were developed to improve the industry, including 6 new draft documents.
- In order to determine the sale of substandard and non-compliant goods in the domestic market, a controlled purchase of 12 types of food and non-food products was conducted.
As a result of the examination of 88 samples, 28 products were found to be non-compliant with the requirements of regulatory and technical documents and sent to the competent authorities (Uzstandard Agency and the Sanitary and Epidemiological Service) for appropriate action.
Surveys of 1,879 retail stores and markets in the country revealed the sale of counterfeit “Rollton” in 36 cases. The sale of low-quality products worth 698.0 million UZS was banned.
- 5. Official warning letters not to increase the cost of drugs for the treatment and prevention of COVID-19 virus infection were issued to 6 thousand pharmacies, 5034 pharmacies were monitored.
According to the results of monitoring, inspections and surveys of 264 pharmacies revealed that consumers overpaid 21.0 million UZS due to the sale of drugs at high prices.
55 cases of increase of extra charge (93% instead of 20%), 23 cases of the sale of expired and substandard products, 84 cases of the sale of drugs without receipts, unlicensed activities and other deficiencies, 56 cases of gross violation of license conditions.
In order to strengthen public control over drug prices, a special information system (bot) @dorinarx_bot was launched on the Telegram platform (more than 255,000 searches were conducted for 3,768 drugs).
- Social surveys were conducted among 10,000 participants on the level of consumer protection in 3 areas, in particular in the field of trade, transport and communication services, based on the results of which analytical information and suggestions were submitted to the relevant agencies.
According to the survey, consumer rights were violated by 52.5% in the transport sector, 58.9% in trade and 71.2% in communications services sectors.
The level of consumer protection was analyzed and assessed in 5 regions.
- 240 entities have been prosecuted for violations of consumer protection and advertising legislation, 209 instructions have been issued to eliminate violations and prevent their recurrence.
Administrative protocols were drawn up against 37 offenders and sent to the relevant courts.
- A total of 17,517 surveys were conducted on the placement and distribution of advertisements.
In particular, 12,318 outdoor advertising structures were registered, 7,108 (58%) did not meet the established requirements, of which 18% were placed without any documents.
Defects in 1,766 structures were eliminated and adjusted to the requirements of the decision, 1,494 structures were dismantled voluntarily. 514 lawsuits have been filed with the courts on 2,218 advertising objects that do not meet the established requirements, and work is underway to determine the owners of 1,630 advertising objects.
A study of advertisements on social networks revealed a total of 573 violations. Of these, 317 are the advertising of pharmaceuticals and dietary supplements, 99 – alcoholic beverages, 67 – tobacco products, 30 – tourism and 60 – other goods. In addition, 3874 advertisements were found in the regional media and outdoor advertising in violation of the law.
Measures were taken to promptly eliminate 7,707 cases of deficiencies.
- Liaison has been established with 19 international organizations, competent governmental and non-governmental bodies of foreign countries on consumer protection and advertising market regulation, and comprehensive cooperation has been organized.
Uzbekistan has acceded to the international agreement of the CIS member states on the main areas of cooperation in the field of consumer protection, and the Agency has been designated as the competent authority responsible for the implementation of this international agreement.
The Agency, based on the tasks assigned to it, will continue to work on further expanding cooperation with the authorized bodies in the field of ensuring the level of coverage of consumer appeals, the quality and safety of goods (works, services), improving consumer literacy and legal literacy of the population, expanding the use of interactive services and digital technologies in order to strengthen public control and increase consumer awareness, strengthening the regulatory framework and other areas.
In addition, the priority tasks of the president of the Republic of Uzbekistan, which will be carried out in 2021 on the basis of the application to the Oliy Majlis and other tasks, have been determined.